POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pinball fun... "Imminent" : Re: Pinball fun... "Imminent" Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pinball fun... "Imminent"
From: scott
Date: 4 Feb 2005 06:50:14
Message: <42036176@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
>>    Thanks for that. Now, how do you do motion blur then?
>
> Without MegaPOV, you've got to render several images with the object
> in question moving, and then average those images. There's probably a
> more precise model, as I guess that a real photo would receive most
> information during the initial opening of the camera shot and gather
> less and less when it reaches the end, as the photo-cells have
> already saturated or such. For a digital camera though, my
> description should be sufficient. :-)

No, it should be sufficient for film too.  A shutter speed of 1/100 will
give you twice the exposure as a shutter speed of 1/200, on both film and
digital.  Of course this is assuming you don't over-expose any areas.

What *might* make a difference is the speed that the shutter opens.  If it
opens slowly relative to the "shutter speed" then the "weighting" of the
instantaneous image will be lower at the beginning and the end when the
shutter is only partially open.  But seeing as shutters can open at 1/4000
second, I doubt it would make much visible difference.